Clifton Design (Bristol)

Clifton Design (Bristol)

We provide outstanding service and professional advice to residential clients in and around the South West

Things to Consider

We’ve drawn up a list of essential considerations, some of which will apply to your proposed works and many of which will have cost implications. If you wish for us to handle these requirements on your behalf, let us know; we’re here to help.

Wessex Water

You’ll need permission if you’re going to build over sewers or drains, so it’s essential to establish whether this issue will affect your work as soon as possible. Should you discover that your works will involve building over a public sewer, formal approval will need to be gained from Wessex Water. This is called a Build Over Agreement and the application requires a standard fee of £325 to be paid directly to Wessex Water. However if your build is within 3 metres of a minor public sewer, six key criteria set down by Wessex Water now need to be met rather than a formal application submitted. A free of charge asset record can be requested from Wessex Water to provide an overview of the known public sewers in the vicinity, however it is important to note that not all public sewers will be shown and their illustrated position will be approximate only. Please also be aware that if Wessex Water request that any CCTV surveys need to be conducted or any necessary remedial works need to be undertaken regarding the pipework, this would need to be arranged by yourself directly with Wessex Water.

Listed Buildings

If the property you’re planning to alter is listed, you’ll need a Listed Building application as well as planning and Building Regulations approval. These can be complex, and you’ll need to include all available information about the history of the property with the application.

Due to the specialised nature and often unforeseen complications that work to listed buildings can entail unfortunately we are unable to assist with any works proposed to a Listed Building and would recommend that you contact a Conservation Architect.

Flood Zones

Is your work taking place within a Flood Zone? If so, you must contact the Environment Agency and it’s likely you’ll be asked to submit a flood risk assessment report.

Party Wall Agreement

This may be required if work will affect an existing wall or structure, either shared, or on the boundary of a neighbouring property.

If you have a Party Wall (wall shared with a neighbour’s property) you need to give your neighbour notice and obtain their signed consent at least 2 months before your build can start.

Energy Efficiency Report/SAP Calculation

An Energy Assessor will be required to produce a report for submission with the Building Regulations application for conversion works and some extensions.

Please be aware that if your final design includes substantial glazing, (for example a glazed atrium roof) or is a new build property, an additional Energy report might be required by the Planning Department and/or the Building Control team to ensure your project meets current sustainability requirements. We are happy to contact an Energy Company on your behalf for a fee quote, however any fee for their services would need to be paid by yourself directly to them.

Structural Engineer's Design Calculations

Calculations are obligatory for any structural works, and must be submitted with your building regulations application. We are happy to obtain a fee quote on your behalf on completion of the drawings however any fee due for their services would need to be paid by yourself directly to the structural engineer.

Builders And Other Tradespeople

You’ll need trusted, competent people to work on your project. We work alongside an established network of professionals who offer highly competitive quotations.

Read our Artist impressions page >